Yahoo hacked again?
You most likely may agree with me on the importance of email security, the issues web users have been having with securing their email accounts, and why among the most popular email providers, Yahoo has been the most attacked. Probably because they are the oldest and most popular free email provider (or maybe not); or probably because they have some of the worst security-engineers in the planet (someone actually told me this one day and I still refuse to believe him though). But that’s by-the-way.
I received a mail from a friend lately and the content was just a link from one libertyteamusa domain and a timestamp as the signature. Decided to verify the link, and I found out that it was a zero-day exploit that attackers now use to compromise Yahoo email accounts.See more details here
For the tech-savvy ones, I’ve located a video that details how this was carried out (thanks to offensive security). I shall only upload this video because Yahoo claims to have fixed this vulnerability.
If you have received such mails before, and clicked on such links; or if you discover that your account is sending spam emails, follow the following steps.
- Change your password
- Clear your cookies
- Enable spam filters
- Stop clicking every link you see, even it’s from a friend. Verify all links.
I’m writing this in a hurry, but i’ll update this post to give you full details later.
For now, ciao
- Spam accounts for 97% of daily email – Do the networks responsible really care? (prweb.com)
- Yahoo Mail users hit by widespread hacking, XSS exploit seemingly to blame (thenextweb.com)
- 10 of the Best Free Email Service Providers (vikitech.com)
- Overzealous spam filter causes never-delivered iCloud emails (tuaw.com)
- YahooXtra users’ hacking spam nightmare (stuff.co.nz)
- Spammers breach security to hijack hundreds of email accounts (nzherald.co.nz)
- Yahoo mail accounts hacked by Dom-Based XSS vulnerability (ehackingnews.com)
- My Yahoo email account was hacked. (iflizwerequeen.com)
- Dump Yahoo now (billbennett.co.nz)