This might be the biggest advice I’ll ever have given you. And yet, it may be the seemingly least important. Whether you’re a high school leaver, or a PhD holder, I implore you to explore the field of BIG DATA… Do you know why?
- Because information has now become more available than ever.
- Because information available is in chaos and needs order.
- If you’re frustrated about looking for a job, you can explore big data.
- If you have a job but seek job security, you can explore big data
- If you have a secure job, but want a bigger pay, or higher recognition, explore big data
I quote US based staffing firm Robert Half that
1. mobile applications development,
2. big data, and
3. wireless networking
are providing some of the highest-paying careers in the United States and Canada with the largest starting salary increases this year over last year.
IEEE Spectrum, 2015
“…much IT investment is going towards managing and maintaining big data”
Network computing, 2012
Now you may need seriously insane skills to surpass the Linus Torvalds in apps development or the CCIEs of wireless networking, but in big data, it doesn’t matter whether you’re a high school leaver (commercial art or science, nobody cares) or you have Mildred Dresselhaus kind of Engineering skills or a CFA, you can do big data.
So you may ask…
So WHAT EXACTLY IS BIG DATA?
Is big data really big?
And how can I explore big data?
I’ll address that in the next few posts (if I don’t get carried away by something else)… Stay right here…